The Next Generation of Plate Beveling – Made in Germany
Good work preparation, good results. A good preparation is everything when it comes to welded seams to ensure strong weld. In this article we will be discussing about plate edges prepared for V-groove butt weld. There are various methods for preparing the V-groove butt weld like machining, chipping, grinding, oxyacetylene cutting, air carbon arc cutting etc. We recommend the best and unique method to prepare V-groove butt weld joint is by machining mainly because it avoids the thermal distortion on the material to be weld.
To make a V-groove butt weld joint between two plates one must first prepare for the weld. The first preparation is to make bevel on the each plate in such a way that when these two plates are joint the bevel looks like a V-groove hence the name V-groove butt weld joint.
The beveling of plates by machining is a process which requires robust and powerful beveling machines. There are several manual beveling beveling machines available in the market which is operated manually. The issue with manual beveling machine especially with long plates is the operator fatigue. Beveling long plates with manual beveling machine needs lot of energy by the fact that the operator has to push the machine towards the plate and at the same time also has to give forward feed to the machine manually. This manual process needs lot of energy and time. Generally to bevel long plates with manual beveling machine more then one operator is appointed on the same job so that the operators can work with intervals, thus adding on to the cost.
The new generation of longer plate beveling is with Automatic Beveling Machines, AutoCUT 500, made in Germany by BDS Maschinen GmbH and distributed in the USA and Canada market by CS Unitec. The AutoCUT 500 is a a ‘’fully’’ automatic beveling machine designed, developed and manufactured in Germany for the sole purpose to solve the problems of beveling long plates.
AutoCUT 500 – This BDS machine is perfectly suited for straightforward and quick weld preparation. The system is characterized by easy handling and evenly milled sides for a perfect weld. Bevel edge milling with automated and continually adjustable speed rate: fast, flexible and variable milling angle adjustment.
The guide rails make handling the AutoCUT 500 especially simple and secure. The milling angle can be continuously adjusted from 15 to 60°.
Advantages of the BDS AutoCUT 500
- Easy and safe handling.
- No restrictions of the working length.
- Work without carriage, i.e., independent of floor conditions, runs directly on the plate.
- Automatic feed on plate without the need for a cart or stand.
- Robust design, single operator control and easy handling.
- Cutting up to a plate thickness of 40 mm. Special versions can be manufactured for higher plate thickness.
- Continuously adjustable angle (15° to 60°) and land width up to 1-3/16″.
- Face milling head with carbide reversible plates.
- Fully automatic – forward and return motion via guide rollers.
- Powerful – Milling up to a plate thickness of 40 mm, unlimited working length.
- Includes one milling head and 6 indexable inserts for fast metal removal and extended tool life
Standard equipment includes one milling head, 6 sintered carbide reversible cutting inserts, 1 jaw spanner (M 19), 1 t-handle screwdriver (WS 5), 1 offset screwdriver (WS 6, 8 & 10), 1 screwdriver (TX 15), 1 inlet rail, 1 outlet rail, carrying case and user’s manual.